Kimberley is officially Zone 3, however, depending
on your particular micro-climate or location (Townsite/Lois Creek
vs. Marysville), you may be able to “push the zone” and grow Zone 4,
5 and 6 plants. You will need extra winter protection for Zone 6
Soil in the East Kootenay is alkaline. For lawns, buy
fertilizer with sulphur to help the grass roots take up the other
Perennials seem to do well in alkaline soil, with the exception of
those liking a moist, rich, acidic soil. It helps to amend the soil
of your beds with sterilized manure and peat moss, digging or
tilling these amendments in well before planting. We do not need
lime in our soil.
Deer Proof Plants
Do not try to grow cedars here without a
protective fence around either the cedars or your yard. Cedar is
winter forage for deer and they can devastate your plantings. They
will also gnaw on Mugo Pines and they love dogwood. They are now
also eating juniper, both the shrub type and they Rocky Mountain
- Favorite Trees and Shrubs by Lois Hole,
Perennial Favorites by Lois Hole. These books deal mainly with Zone
3 plants. Available at most area book stores and at Top Crop.
- Perennial Garden Guide by John M. Valleau of Heritage Perennials
(highly recommended, has zone ranges, sun/shade, height/spread,
wonderful photos and much more). Available At Top Crop in Cranbrook.
- Deer Proofing Your Yard and Garden, by Rhonda Massingham Hart
- Creating the Prairie Xeriscape, by Sara Williams
- Panther P2 and Bambi. A concentrate of large cat
urine which you dilute with water and soak strips of cloth or
special sachets. Hang strips on branches of shrubs and the smell
will deter them from eating treated shrubs. Must refresh every 4-6 weeks.
- Scarecrow Sprinklers. Battery-operated motion-sensing impulse
sprinklers with sensitivity settings. Also works on dogs, cats, etc.
Available at Top Crop or through Lee Valley Tools (www.leevalley.com)
- Blood meal. Deters them from eating tulips. Must re-apply after rain or watering.
- Other: Check with Top Crop to find out what else is available as a deer repellent.